Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Side Effects of Reading

Did you know that elderly people who read are 2 ½ times less likely to develop Alzheimer's, which affects nearly 4 million people in the United States? What about the study conducted by California State University which concluded that the majority of a child's vocabulary development occurs as the result of reading, not direct teaching? If you're interested in learning more about the glorious "side effects" of reading, please check out this BuzzFeed article: http://www.buzzfeed.com/erinlarosa/12-scientific-ways-reading-can-actually-improve-your-life#.qwx18beVz .

So, my 20-time isn't just about reading books, it's about preventive medicine and mental expansion! That's what I would like to think, but let's be honest with each other, no one actually reads in order to prevent Alzheimer's disease. And as a kid, I certainly didn't read the Magic Tree House series so I could beat my parents at Scrabble (I still can't do that). The REAL reason why I read, and why I chose to pursue this as my 20-time topic, is because I truly enjoy reading. As a kid, I spent countless hours reading. It was my go-to past-time. I read before I went to school, I read during school, and I read when I came home from school . I don't really know when this book-heavy schedule of mine ended, somewhere in middle school I think. The reason? Mainly school, but if I'm going to be honest with myself, technology has had a large impact on what I do with my time. There's a lot of news feed scrolling and app updating in my free time, and a lot less page flipping. 

So, more than anything, I've learned to love reading again, which sounds really cheesy and I'm annoyed that I couldn't come up with a more original conclusion, but it's true. I really did miss reading. Here is a quick list that I compiled of things that you can only experience through reading:

1. Creating your own world. 

Reading isn't just about reading words on a page, it's about taking those words and turning them into a story. Movies and television shows don't leave much for the imagination, whereas books require the reader to take what the author wrote and form a mental picture of what is happening. 

2. Standing in a library or bookstore and just looking. 

There's nothing quite as enjoyable as walking in to Barnes and Noble with a $25 gift certificate and time to kill. There's always the best-sellers list, the newly released section, and, my personal favorite, the bargain deals. A whole table of hardcover books starting at the low price of $6. On the occasions where you don't have a $25 gift certificate (or any gift certificate for that matter), the library is always a great choice. It's like the Netflix of book vendors! Nothing but a huge variety of totally free books, and who doesn't love free things?

3. Turning the last page and finishing a book.

I don't care what people say, E-books are a scam, but not in the monetary sense. I tried using a Kindle once, but pressing a button on a machine just isn't as satisfying as turning the page. It's extremely rewarding to hold a book in your hands and turn the last page as you contemplate the ending of the story.

OK, I thought I could come up with a lot more items for the list, but it's really hard to come up with anything when you're on the spot. Even so, I feel like these reasons really emphasize the importance of reading...the true side effects of a great book. 


2 comments:

  1. I like how you admit that you haven't been reading because of school and technology as much as you would like to. I feel like we all fall into that situation, but I am glad you are able to take time and just read! I totally agree with you that E-Books are not as satisfying as a real book. Page turning can not be done by the click of a button. You're doing a great job with your project so far and I will enjoying reading your blogs for the weeks to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Your bashing of your own intro was hilarious, your burger makes me hungry, and your post made me want to ditch my Kindle and rejoin the world of page-turners. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete