Sunday, April 12, 2015

It's Been A While

  Indeed, it's been a long time since I've sat down at the computer to write a blog post. It's also been a long time since I've thought about 20-time (sorry). However, it hasn't been a long time since I've been reading. Let me break it down for you: I've been on an extended vacation. My sister is studying abroad in Europe, and I'm not, so naturally I was jealous! My sister can't have all the fun, while I'm stuck here in Midland, Michigan where it snows in April. APRIL! Anyway, with vacationing comes long hours spent traveling from one destination to the other, and a kid can only spend so much time playing on his phone. So yeah, I got some quality reading time in. I can now place Bel Canto by Ann Patchett and On Immunity: An Inoculation by Eula Biss on to my mental shelf of completed books.


 Before I began writing, I was trying to figure out the best way to approach this blog. After not writing a blog for nearly three weeks it was hard for me to decide what to talk about. I have a few updates to share, but not nearly enough information to put in to one blog. On the other hand, I had two book reviews to do, and that is way too much information to put in to one blog. I decided on a happy medium: a quick update paragraph (which is what you just read) and two very quick reviews on the books I read over spring break (which is what you're about to read). Let's go!

A Review of Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

I went in to this book expecting something completely different than what I got. The story involves a hostage situation in a South American country, where a group of wealthy party guests are taken hostage by a group of terrorists. As the story unfolds, the reader is not subjected to violence, mayhem, or suspense, but something entirely different. This novel focuses on the relationships that evolve between the guests and the hostages, and how everyone is brought closer together as the novel progresses.

So, I was surprised by the direction the book took off in. Instead of a bloody, suspenseful thriller I found myself reading about love and opera. This wasn't a bad thing, it was actually quite good. The whole goal of my project is to get me out of my comfort zone. Unfortunately, I just wasn't entertained by this book. Ultimately, nothing really happened. By the end of the book, most of the characters were in the same position they started in, and when I turned the final page I had trouble recalling the details of what happened in the 318 pages of the story. I did like many of the unique relationships that sprouted in between the captives and the fugitives, but when your whole book takes place in-between the same four walls it can get a little boring.  

The other aspect of the novel that I had a problem with was the ending. I don't want to spoil anything, but I will say this: I found the ending to be extremely confusing. There was a decision made at the end of the story that I did not agree with, and I did not think that it matched up with the decisions that these characters had made in the past nor the emotions that they had felt during the story. In addition, I would just like to point out that this entire novel is about Stockholm Syndrome, but a really romantic version of Stockholm Syndrome! I would have to give Bel Canto 6 ransom notes out of 10.

A Review of On Immunity: An Inoculation by Eula Biss

I really don't expect non-fiction books to be page turners. Actually, I just don't expect non-fiction books to be engaging in general. The trick is to choose a book that focuses on a subject you're interested in. In my case, this subject happens to be vaccination, and society's increased determination to keep their kids unvaccinated. It's an extremely controversial topic, and one that Eula Biss tackles wonderfully, using aspects of her personal life as a mother to engage the reader.

I don't really know how to review this book, mainly because it is non-fiction and the joy that one would receive from reading this novel would vary greatly depending on who you are. For me, I loved how the author backed up her claims using well-research facts and anecdotes from her personal life, especially as a new mother. Basically, if you like science or health and are interested in reading a well researched and well-written story you should probably check this book out. I give On Immunity 8 syringes out of 10.

There you have it, an update plus two reviews, all for the price of one! I will be continuing my project with a science fiction novel titled Oryx and Crake written by Margaret Atwood, winner of the Booker Prize. I'll be sure to update you more on this story in my next blog. Adios!  




2 comments:

  1. John, I am glad to hear that you went out of your comfort zone to read these books. Even though you may not have enjoyed the first book, it was good that you tried it. It never hurts to try new things! I am excited to hear about the next book you read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you actually DID do something for your project. Although I disagree with your assessment of Bel Canto, I loved reading your interesting review. I'm glad you are stepping out of your comfort zone. I'd like to learn more about how your are making your selections, though. How do you decide?

    ReplyDelete